Sunday, September 28, 2008

Canada, Eh.



As I sit down at the computer for the first time since Thursday, which is a long time for me, I realize that our blog is a free topic, which is somewhat nice seeing as I'm on my last hour before the blog is due. The assignment said to write about any current event that we choose, but I don't really know what to write about. I have been in Canada since Thursday morning for a rowing regatta (a race/competition, if you will) and have hardly had any time to turn on a tv, let alone get on the computer. Therefore, I am currently a little behind on what's going on in the world. I have heard a few things here and there about topics such as the debate on Friday , trying economic times, and the plane crash involving DJ A.M. and Travis Barker... but that's about the extent to which I know what is going on.

Therefore, my current event will instead be about the reason I don't know what's currently going on. As mentioned, Thursday morning 10 rowers and 2 coaches from my team left Clemson for Canada. We drove to Atlanta, flew to Buffalo, NY, and then drove to Welland, Canada for a Rowing Regatta. Welland isn't exactly the most beautiful or affluent of places, but the canal that we rowed on was beautiful and the people there are as nice as can be. We had a warm welcome from local teams and the venue we rowed at was great. Thursday and Friday were spent practicing and preparing for our races on Saturday. On Saturday we raced two fours against a few other colleges and Clemson came in both first and second. (My boat was the first place boat). Then, later in the afternoon, the two fours merged into one eight and raced again, resulting in another gold. It was our first race of the season and a great way to start it off. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but we are all proud of where we are for now and we have an idea of how hard we need to work before our next big race, which is in the end of October in Boston.

After a long day of racing on Saturday, Sunday was our day for a little fun before traveling home. After a delicious breakfast at a local restaurant, we turned into huge tourists and visited Niagara Falls, which was fun to do. I have family from Buffalo, so I've been to the falls a few times before, but it was still fun to go with the team and check it out.

All in all, it was a great weekend. Unfortunately, it's back to reality and there is a long week of work ahead of me.

No comments: