Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dual Coding and Advertisements

Upon looking at the advertisement, I first noticed the statement, "WE BELIEVE." From there, I looked up and read "PRACTICE LIKE CHAMPIONS." The reason it occurred in this order was because I first looked at the center of the picture. Then, while reading the "WE BELIEVE," I noticed the red font above it, which is why I read "PRACTICE LIKE CHAMPIONS" second. After reading, I was looking at the picture and trying to figure out what it was.

In my opinion, this message primarily processes language. The short phrases in all caps really attracted my attention. Despite the strong messages the two phrases get across, the visual displays are also beneficial to the add. The flaw is that it takes a minute to figure out what the picture is. After determining the doorway with the "PRACTICE LIKE CHAMPIONS" above it and then the separate wall outside of the door with the "WE BELIEVE," it is a very cool advertisement because it makes me think of a team that uses an old locker room and goes out on the field and is successful. The players may not have the best facility or equipment, or whatever, but they have passion and desire to win and it is shown on the walls of the locker room.

No comments: